The International Student Scholarships of SHCM is established by Shanghai Conservatory of Music in order to attract and encourage more outstanding international students to study in SHCM. With a view to guiding the application for and review of the scholarships and grant in a careful, fair and square manner, enlarging enrollment of international students in SHCM and improving the quality of education for international students, these regulations are made based on the principle of improving efficiency and effectiveness, regularizing the procedures, designated usage only and scientific management.
The SHCM Scholarships and Grant Review Committee is comprised of members from the President's Office, International Office, Academic Affairs Office, Graduate Division,, Department Offices, the Bursar’s Office and Supervision Office of our conservatory. The school leader in charge of international student affairs will assume the office of committee director, while the International Students Office will take charge of application processing issues.
SHCM will deposit the funds of scholarships and grant in a special account. The International Students Office is responsible for the management and allocation of funds and subject to the instruction, audit and supervision of SHCM's administrative department and superior authorities.
The number of awardees is determined according to the number of international students and subject to adjustment based on the amount of funds of each year. Selection of awardees should abide by the principle of giving priority to the better.
(1) Class A (Full Scholarship)
Class A Scholarship offers funds to exchange students from foreign partner institutions or short-term international students (excluding Chinese language students) with outstanding achievements. Recipients of Class A Scholarship will be provided with exemption from tuition, accommodation and comprehensive insurance fees and living allowance of RMB 10,000 yuan each semester.
(2) Class B (Partial Scholarship)
Class B Scholarship offers funds to exchange students from foreign partner institutions or short-term international students (excluding Chinese language students) with outstanding achievements. Recipients of Class B Scholarship will be exempt from tuition and comprehensive insurance fees.
(3) Class C Scholarship
Class C Scholarship offers funds to excellent international students currently pursuing (bachelor, master or doctor’s) degree studies at SHCM. Recipients of Class C Scholarship will be provided with a one-off payment of RMB 4,000 yuan/person/academic year.
The grant program offers support to excellent degree-seeking international students from needy families. In principle, each student enjoys no more than two opportunities to apply during his/her study period in SHCM.
Recipients of grant will be provided with a subsidy of RMB 6,000 yuan/person/academic year.
（1）Applicants should have acquired a non-Chinese nationality for more than five years and be in good health;
（2）Applicants should comply with laws and regulations of the Chinese government and rules and disciplines of SHCM;
（3）Applicants should not be awardees of other Chinese government scholarships at the same time.
2. Materials Required for Application
Class A/B/C Scholarship
(1) SHCM Scholarships Application Form for International Students
(2) Notarized certification of the highest academic degree obtained or student certification (non-Chinese or non-English certification should be attached with notarized version in Chinese or English)
(3) Academic record (non-Chinese or non-English ones should be attached with notarized version in Chinese or English)
(4) Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors
(5) A study or research proposal for study in China (in Chinese or English)
(6) Work portfolio or academic achievements (academic papers, awards and etc.)
(7) Other related materials
(1) SHCM Grant Application Form for International Students
(2) Family Financial Certificate (including family medical certificate) issued by local Chinese embassies and consulates
(3) A complete academic record
(4) Work portfolio or academic achievements (academic papers, awards and etc.)
3. Application Procedure and Timeline
(1) Application Timeline: For detailed information, please see the notice of each year.
(2) Application Procedure: Applicants should fill in the Scholarships and Grant Application Form for International Students which is available to download from SHCM’s website and submit required documents within prescribed time limit.
Materials should be submitted to the International Students Office of Shanghai Conservatory of Music (address: Room 203, Former President's Building[ZQ1] , No. 20, Fenyang Road, Shanghai 200031, P.R. China).
Contact: Ms. Wang
4. Special Notes
(1) All application materials submitted by the applicants will not be returned.
(2) Please head to the following webpage to download the application form: http://www.shcmusic.edu.cn/intro_40.aspx?cid=40
Duration of the scholarships and grant is one semester or one academic year.
Annual assessments are required for all awardees during their study period. SHCM will perform a comprehensive review according to scholarship recipients' academic records, learning attitude, attendance, behaviors and awards or punishment. Students who pass the review are eligible for reapplication and those who fail are not allowed to apply again.
The awardees will be disqualified and the scholarships and grant will be terminated under any of the following circumstances:
1) he/she violates Chinese laws and regulations and receives administrative detention and criminal punishment;
2) he/she breaks the school rules and gets disciplinary punishment from SHCM;
3) he/she is incapable of continuing study due to bad health.
SHCM’s International Students Office is responsible for the interpretation of the Regulations which shall enter into trial implementation from the date of issue.