Shanghai Summer School 2015 (Traditional Chinese Music Program ), a Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship Program hosted by Shanghai Conservatory of Music will be held at Shanghai Conservatory of Music from June 24 to July 17, 2015.
Since 2011, the Shanghai Summer School (Traditional Chinese Music Program) has been successfully held for four consecutive years and achieved good results. Therefore, we will hold 2015 Shanghai Summer School (Traditional Chinese Music Program) featuring the theme of traditional Chinese instruments Erhu, Chinese Flute and Pipa.
Erhu, Chinese Flute and Pipa are famous traditional Chinese musical instruments that have a long history and are popular among music lovers from home and abroad. In this Summer School, we will invite numerous professional performers and educators of Erhu, Chinese Flute and Pipa to create a comprehensive curriculum that combines learning, appreciation and experience for international students.
The program consists of Beginner's Class and Advanced Class courses will include:
1. Master Class: A) Advanced Class: Prestigious professors of Erhu, Chinese Flute and Pipa will deliver open classes and young performers of SCM will give training course for each student. The classes provide the students with an opportunity for personal communication with the masters to discuss and study the techniques of playing Erhu, Chinese Flute and Pipa, thus contributing to their knowledge of traditional Chinese music and performing skills. ) Beginner's Class: Basic performing techniques will be taught by young performers of SCM in order to improve the students’ understanding of traditional Chinese culture.
2. Lectures: Lectures on topics including “The Art of Chinese Music”,“The Aesthetics of Music” and “Chinese Culture”will be delivered by prestigious scholars.
3. Cultural Activities: all students will have the opportunity to visit typical musical and cultural sites such as music instrument factory, Museum of Oriental Musical Instruments, He Luting Concert Hall, Shanghai Concert Hall and etc. We will organize visits to authentic musical and cultural sites in Shanghai such as Shanghai Musical Instruments Factory, Museum of Oriental Musical Instruments, He Luting Concert Hall, Shanghai Grand Theatre and Shanghai Concert Hall. Students will be able to experience the cultural and musical life in places in the vicinity of Shanghai.
Beginner’s Class will enroll 20 students, including 10 scholarship winners and 10 self-support students. Advanced Class will enroll 20 students, including 10 scholarship winners and 10 self-support students. For scholarship winners, the scholarship covers the fee for the application, tuition, activities, accommodation, teaching materials and comprehensive insurance. Self-support students will have to pay for the application , tuition, activities, teaching materials, accommodation and comprehensive insurance.
All the Summer School students should be non-Chinese citizens within the age of 16-60 and in good health. Scholarship applicants should apply from abroad.
The scholarship candidates for Beginner’s Class will be selected according to the sequence of application and the scholarship candidates for Advanced Class will be selected by the organizing committee based on the application materials handed in by the candidates. The list of scholarship winners and self-support students will be announced on the website of International Students Office of Shanghai Conservatory of Music: http://www.shcmusic.edu.cn/html/lxs/.
1. Application period: March 1 to May 31, 2015.
2. Documents required for application:
a:Application Form for Shanghai Conservatory of Music “Shanghai Summer School 2015 (Traditional Chinese Music Program) for Foreign Students”
b: A copy of Passport
d: Three passport-sized photos
a:Application Form for Shanghai Conservatory of Music“Shanghai Summer School 2015 (Traditional Chinese Music Program) for Foreign Students”
b: A copy of Passport
d: Three passport-sized photos
e: CD or DVD recordings (2 pieces of songs); digital version of songs can also be sent by email.
3. Fees and Tuition:
A. Scholarship winners: the scholarship covers application, tuition, activities, teaching materials, accommodation and comprehensive insurance. Transportation fees are not included.
B. Self-support students: The tuition fee, which is RMB 6000, covers application, tuition, activities, teaching materials, accommodation and comprehensive insurance. Transportation fees are not included.
4. Application procedures:
A. Application form can be downloaded on the website of http://www.shcmusic.edu.cn/html/lxs/ and should be filled in according to requirements in English or Chinese. .
B. All documents can be submitted by email or sent by post. (Passport copy should be the page with the photo of the passport holder.)
C. Applicants will receive the Admission Notice sent through email by Shanghai Conservatory of Music after the evaluation procedure. (Applicants are required to fill in the information of email address and phone number on the application form so that Admission Notice can be sent.) Applicants may procure a visa (such as tourist visa) valid for at least 30 days, otherwise they will be responsible for all the possible consequences caused by invalid visa.
D. Entrance, registration and tuition payment should be finished at the Shanghai Conservatory of Music according to the registration period stated in the Admission Notice. Students failing to register within the time limit should inform and get the permission from International Students Office in advance. Otherwise they will be considered as giving up the program.
E. Application documents and tuition fee are non-refundable, payable in cash during or before the registration period.
For Contact: Ms. Wang Kaili, Ms. Wu Yimin
Add: International Students Office of Shanghai Conservatory of Music,
20 Fen Yang Road, Shanghai, 200031 P.R.China.
Tel.: 0086 -21-6431-6745 .
Fax: 0086 -21-6431-0305 .